Saturday, October 31, 2009

Rejection vs. No Response

The constant theme to my spirituality and reflection in prayer right now is to love generously. Love without unnecessary inhibitions or fears and give freely of yourself.

A few weeks ago we discussed the contrast between rejection of love and a lack of response to love. Both hurt, but only one is a conscious, active refusal to receive or accept love. Many times, my efforts to love--most often through reaching out to people to hang out, get a meal together, or whatever social things--are left dangling in the breeze without response, and I know I am not the only person who experiences this. I am often frustrated by people's ignoring me, and I wish people would just take the five seconds to write a simple text message back or whatever.

However, I am quick to judge, usually assuming the worst of the silent friends, and I often don't give the benefit of the doubt to these people, at least not immediately. I need to be better about not assuming the worst--not assuming rejection--and rather simply chalking it up to not getting a response. People are busy, forgetful, and stressed, and I don't allow those possibilities enough because I am not as affected by college's stresses and schedule cramping as others.

In Adoration this Wednesday, I found solace in the silence before the Lord. Here is the advice I found before Him, which I penned as advice to myself and offer to all of you as well:

"Love generously. All you can do is offer your love freely, fully, and generously to others. You can use your gifts, confidence, and faith to offer this love in creative and personal ways. But you cannot coerce, compel, or force--only offer. God gave us free will and freely gave us His Son as the example of perfect freedom (*see note below if you need explanation*). Follow Him--"



*God did not have to send His Son, but He did and did so freely and fully. As the Word Incarnate, Jesus remained coeternal and of the same essence of God. Jesus' will is the Father's Will, so Jesus' actions were done both through free will and completely in line with the Will of the Father--Jesus' life, actions, and ministry were the example of perfect freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Having a Lucy

by Dan Masterton Every year, a group of my best friends all get together over a vacation. Inevitably, on the last night that we’re all toge...