Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Pilgrim

The reality I have noticed: When I go to Monday night daily mass, I sense that a few of the people present are not there with the rest of us but somehow separate and for themselves.

My gut reaction: Why are do they need to be separated? Why do they feel the need to remain apart from others at the mass? I feel alienated by them and inadequate.

The time when this becomes most apparent is during the sign of peace. Here, an excellent illustration of community practice becomes evident. In Zahm, we leave our places and hug all of each other for the sign of peace. It does not matter if you are friends or know each other; you simply extend Christ's peace to one another, Fr. Jim (our priest-in-residence) included. I understand if people feel this is an excessive demonstration since we roam around and it takes a little longer, but I do not like when it seems to surpass a difference of opinion to the point of a "holier-than-thou" kind of condescension. Sometimes, reaching out to them for Christ's peace seems like a chore for them, and that disappoints me. Regardless of how you practice the sign of peace, a simple firm handshake, eye contact, and the blessing of peace is a Catholic practice we do to emulate Christ.

I understand that some come to the daily mass for a more personal, cozier experience. I relate to that because that it why I go--I am trying to embrace the mystery of the Eucharist in a more intimate setting, hoping the smaller congregation and closer proximity to the sacrament will lend a greater understanding to my faith. However, there is a boundary to that. I usually sit alone and often close my eyes in contemplation and prayer at different points. However, the mass is not meant to be a private experience but rather one we share with our fellow pilgrims.

There is a time and place for solitude and setting oneself apart from distractions. But the mass is not the place for that. Before, after, and following Eucharist, one should find the quiet prayer they seek, but the mass experience is a communal celebration. We respond together; we receive Jesus together; we share Christ's peace together. It is a place where the pilgrim journey one makes comes into unity with his or her fellow believers. We raise our prayers separately but also together--it's not an either/or proposition; the Body of Christ is not millions of little bodies but one united body.

Ultimately, I am grateful for the presence of partially alienating people, and I pray that we find communion together. They have made me more appreciative of the personal aspect of faith, and I hope that I can continue to reach out to meet somewhere in the middle so we can all learn from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Having a Lucy

by Dan Masterton Every year, a group of my best friends all get together over a vacation. Inevitably, on the last night that we’re all toge...