Monday, October 12, 2009

How do you pray?

Most people (or maybe not most people), me included, usually pray with their eyes closed, hands folded, and head slightly tilted downward. It is kind of the standard position for quiet concentration to eliminate distractions and keep your hands still. However, I try from time to time to break the monotony of this comfortable style to stress things in prayer.

1. Keep my eyes closed but tilt my head back a bit and look upward. The immediate difference is that even with your eyes closed, things are brighter. This is a sign of our idea that God is above, and in this way, I can more physically direct prayers to him in a symbolic way. Also, this works to make me less ashamed, bashful, or muted about my prayers. Even within my head, I speak with more conviction, am prouder of what I am saying, and am making more a proclamation of my prayers.

2. This is mostly for the grotto--I bury my face in my hands, folded or not, and make my prayers in self-created darkness. I spend however long I need talking and listening to God and presenting my prayers to Our Lady for intercession. By time my 15 or 30 minutes are done and I've rounded out my prayer with a Hail Mary to Our Lady of Lourdes, I pick my head up and immediately the light overtakes me. My eyes have adjusted to the extended darkness, and once I open them and reexpose them to the light, the change is incredible. The symbolism is even greater. First, the light makes me feel that my prayers have been answered; God is light, and my prayers have been going forth into the light. I am surrounded by new light that I could not see while in prayer, and it is profound consolation. Second, the light before me is the light of my brothers' and sisters' prayers. I am not alone in my needs, wants, praise, and thanks; I am here in solidarity with the Body of Christ that needs the intimacy with God just as I do. Their light brings me comfort, and my light will do the same for them.

3. Finally, for end-of-day prayer before going to sleep, I lay on my back until I have finished my prayer. I am a side sleeper, so I won't be able to fall asleep until I roll over. This posture also leaves me feeling kind of vulnerable until i really curl the sheets over me and roll into the more secure fetal position that hearkens back to the safety of the womb. As I lay there sprawled out, I am able to put it all out there before I move to security and comfort buried under the sheets.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, if you're curious about more postures of prayer, you should read into the Nine Ways of Prayer of St. Dominic... http://www.domcentral.org/trad/domdocs/0005.htm. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Having a Lucy

by Dan Masterton Every year, a group of my best friends all get together over a vacation. Inevitably, on the last night that we’re all toge...