Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Published at Grotto Network: How I Made New Friends after College

by Dan Masterton

I continue to have the opportunity to write with Grotto Network, a great new site where folks can find a diverse slate of articles about a lot of lifestyle and spiritual matters, written from a thoughtful and faithful perspective. Their website is great; they offer an email newsletter via a form on their homepage; and their social media presence is charming and impeccably pleasant in the midst of mixed social feeds on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

This article is some little thoughts on how I (try to) make friends in a post-grad world:
I started my current job with the usual new employee orientation. That day, I talked briefly with another new hire, and I quickly learned we had a lot in common, even mutual friends. As the year unfolded, I knew I wanted to be friends with her but could sense myself being awkward about it.

To make plans outside of work, I need a way to contact her that isn’t a work email, I thought. But for some reason, I was hesitant to just offer to trade numbers and suggest plans for us and our significant others. Why was I treating this like asking a high school crush to prom?

Simple — because adult friendships are hard.
To continue reading, check out the full article at Grotto Network and surf around their site for more great reads.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Having a Lucy

by Dan Masterton Every year, a group of my best friends all get together over a vacation. Inevitably, on the last night that we’re all toge...