Thursday, March 7, 2019

#TreatYoShelf: 03/07/19

by Dan Masterton

I totally flubbed meal-planning this week, as I was not thinking in terms of Lenten meat abstinence when I did the week's grid on Sunday (my wife and I sketch out the week on a basic grid chart called "The Swirling Storm of Life" each Sunday night). Crockpot pulled pork had to slide from Wednesday to Thursday in favor of cheese pizza; pasta night on Friday could remain but will lack its usual meat sauce. Luckily, today is in play, and our crockpot is making us those neighbors cooking something that makes the stairwell smell good instead of ooky. I even saw one Catholic org refer to today as Meat Oasis Thursday. I'm here for that.

On to this week's links!

Statement by Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C. The Sexual Abuse Crisis in the Church: Notre Dame’s Response

Sorry to those of you with Domer fatigue from this blog's contributors, but this one warrants a look. Nothing the Church does in the wake of so many years of so much abuse and coverup will ever be enough, especially to the victims of these sins. However, that doesn't mean earnest efforts shouldn't be made to take positive steps that respond to the shortcomings of the Church. Notre Dame, certainly an imperfect Catholic institution itself, laid out a blueprint for the next steps it will try to take. The road map here is a good start.

Loop's Zero Waste Platform Is Changing The Culture Of Disposability One Pint Of Ice Cream At A Time by Sara Weinreb via Forbes

I'm grateful for my college, my current coworkers, and many close friends who have taught me some finer points of conservation -- things like what "recyclables" aren't actually recyclable in most places (damn you, #6!), what things are compostable (future life goal when done with apartment living), and habits to get away from disposable culture (reusable shopping bags to the rescue!). Now comes a new company trying to take that reusable bag life and draw on the old "milkman" concept to make us greener. Loop will launch soon, and several articles help lay out the way you can subscribe to everyday household products delivered in a reusable tote and in reusable containers. Read more in the article, and consider signing up for email alerts ahead of when they roll out.

The Eclipse of Sex by the Rise of Gender by Abigail Favale via McGrath Institute for Church Life at Notre Dame

This is a deep dive, so put on your scuba gear first. I know that as I try to learn about the complexities and nuance of sexual orientation and gender identity, I often find myself struggling as I seek to understand more. There are a lot of layers to what sexuality is, especially when it comes to our understanding of our bodies and explanations of gender. I have a lot still to learn and think about, but this article (at least what I grasped of it) helped me think further on this tough stuff.

The Abortion Debate Needs Moral Lament by Michael Wear via The Atlantic

This article is excellently deliberate, measured, and fair. Without bending to either extreme of a wedge issue, this writer takes the time to carefully explain the ways that the entire debate is broken. It's worth a full read, and I'll just use the conclusion an enticement to start from his beginning: "What the abortion debate needs is not an increase of moral outrage—we have plenty of that—but instead a sense of moral lament. It is to our collective shame that our politics seem incapable of such a development."

Awkward Moments with Jason Benetti via the Cerebal Palsy Foundation


Jason Benetti is a Chicago native who has attained his childhood dream job of being the play-by-play guy for the Chicago White Sox. He is professional, polished, and proficient while at the same time being wonderfully grounded, humble, and self-deprecating. He's an awesome get for the White Sox, who hopefully have their play-by-play man for decades to come. Benetti also has cereal palsy and is a great teacher and advocate for CP. Perhaps my favorite element of that is a web series he voices called "Awkward Moments," in which clever animations accompany his narration in explaining various aspects of what life is like for people with CP. It's educational and heart-warmingly funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Having a Lucy

by Dan Masterton Every year, a group of my best friends all get together over a vacation. Inevitably, on the last night that we’re all toge...