Monday, June 4, 2018

The End of All Things

by Jenny Klejeski
Image result for book of the gospels

You know, sometimes the readings at Mass are strangely apropos.

Case in point: this past Friday, at our second to the last school Mass of the year, we heard from St. Peter,

“Beloved: The end of all things is close at hand.”

When I heard those words, I thought of the impending end of the school year, all my grades being due shortly, 8th grade graduation; I thought of going to get the keys to the new apartment the next day, marking the end of living in my childhood home; I thought of my last few weeks as a Klejeski and all the things that need to happen before then.

Not literally the end of all things, but okay, God--I’m listening.

“Therefore be serious and sober-minded
so that you will be able to pray.”


A good friend of mine recently asked me what he could pray for on my behalf. I thought about it for a moment and said, “attention.” I have realized that it is far too easy, in any season of life, but particularly in the especially busy ones to cease to pay attention, to drown in details, and just to lose perspective.

In the midst of end of year grading, it is easy to forget how blessed I am by my job, what wonderful students and co-workers I have, and even what a gift the mundane slog of assignments is.

When I am moving box after box of wedding shower presents into our new apartment, it is easy to forget about all the beautiful people who love us and are ushering us into married life with these gifts.

Even for two low-key people (or maybe I should say, especially for two low-key people), the process of wedding planning involves a lot of potentially stress-inducing details that distract from the real purpose of the whole process: i.e. receiving a SACRAMENT.

Perspective. Attention. Gratitude.

Image result for to do list“Above all, let your love for one another be intense,
because love covers a multitude of sins.
Be hospitable to one another without complaining.”


At my school, we have a virtue of the month that we focus on. My principal, in her wisdom, strategically made our virtue for this final month forgiveness. Life is messy--especially when people are involved--and I am grateful for the reminder to go gently, both with myself and others. As my students miss final deadlines, and I miss final deadlines, and there’s a miscommunication with our caterer, and we’re trying move a heavy couch up a narrow staircase in 90° heat, and my students are antsy to get out of the classroom, and I’m antsy to get out of the classroom, and so-and-so hasn’t RSVPed yet, and on and on and on…I am humbled by St. Peter’s exhortation.

Love. Love intensely. Don’t complain.

As each one has received a gift, use it to serve one another
as good stewards of God's varied grace.
Whoever preaches, let it be with the words of God;
whoever serves, let it be with the strength that God supplies,
so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ,
to whom belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.


How often I can lament whatever task is before me as an “obligation” or something burdensome. How hopeful, then, are St. Peter’s words to help me realize that I have been not only entrusted with a task that is particular to me, but also been equipped to carry out that task. And all for God’s glory! What freedom!

And finally:

Beloved, do not be surprised that a trial by fire is occurring among you,
as if something strange were happening to you.
But rejoice to the extent that you share in the sufferings of Christ,
so that when his glory is revealed
you may also rejoice exultantly.


All of it--the struggles, the blessings, the joys, the mundanity--is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Having a Lucy

by Dan Masterton Every year, a group of my best friends all get together over a vacation. Inevitably, on the last night that we’re all toge...