Wednesday, November 9, 2016

#MoreThanRedAndBlue: What's Next

In the early throes of tonight's saga, I was thumbing through my Twitter feed, as I've done every 15 minutes or so. I came across a Catholic writer who was wondering how people were doing. While the trends increasingly paved the way to an electoral college victory for Mr. Trump, I was trying to keep patient while checking out some down-ticket things.
I was disappointed to find that Colorado had decided to approve physician-assisted suicide via popular vote. As the night wore on and Mr. Trump's progress continued, California had fallen short of banning the death penalty while Nebraska had repealed its ban to reinstate the punishment. Oklahoma also thickened up its laws. Continuing the spiral, marijuana laws - though a lesser evil for sure, and an arguably justifiable legalization when for medicinal reasons - won victories in some states.

The frustrations of this evening will spin around us with similar depth and comparable interminability as the euphoric joys of the Cubs World Series victory. For me, I abandoned any hope of a Trump appeal many weeks ago after he stubbornly and insistently refused to acknowledge the dignity and value of marginalized and vulnerable people. It has been chilling to see social media posts and TV commentators characterizing Mr. Trump's rhetoric as "connecting with working class Americans," which either insults the moral caliber of average Americans or else admits, acknowledges, and approves of attitudes that are nothing more than social sin in myriad forms. While I sympathize with the challenges of unemployment, economic hardships, and social frustrations, I am troubled by placing blame on those who are different and by placing one's salvific hopes in an ungrounded, exploitative, self-centered billionaire.

I've been saddened and gut-punched as I see people preemptively reaching out on social media to their Muslim, immigrant, refugee, and LGBTQ friends to reassure of their companionship and support. I'm hurt as evangelical Christians wonder what happened to their identity as they watch members of their traditions fall in step with Trump. I was most moved tonight by CNN's Van Jones, who riffed a thoughtful speech on the difficulty of parents' explaining the realities of this year to their children.




All of this poses a new challenge to us as Catholics. What does our faith have to tell us in this situation?

First of all, I think this is a profound reminder that the Gospel truth of Christ is countercultural. We will not find ourselves in a position of strong concurrence with the will of God until we reach our eternal life with Him. In the meantime, we are called to do God's will with maximum discernment and supreme diligence while living our lives of faith on earth, and when we are graced enough to enact God's will by our love, we glimpse the heaven that our Church prefigures eschatologically.

Next, on a practical level, we must become prophets for the Preferential Option for the Poor and Marginalized. In my theology classes, I often ask students to brainstorm groups of people who are marginalized in our society. Mr. Trump has openly derided several of those groups, from refugees to Muslims to women to disabled people and more. If half of our voting citizens have ratified a man of this character to be the leader of this nation, then we have an amazing opportunity and frankly an obligation of faith to evangelize the preferential option to everyone we encounter.

We need to actively, constantly, and loudly champion marginalized people in all of our decisions. When you spend your monthly income, make a line item for an organization that advocates or accompanies these people. My wife and I have done this, and it's my favorite part of settling our bills each month. When you budget your free time, choose a service organization through which you can encounter someone who is too often ignored. I have been meaning to get involved with our community shelter here in the city, and I think it's high time I get myself out there. As you identify and grow your talents and gifts, discern ways that you can use them to lift up those who are forgotten. I pray for further inspiration and courage to find ways to lead my students in active encounters.

Finally, concretely, reach out. Be a person of good will, an ambassador, a strong witness and representative of what you believe and the religion with which you identify. Find someone who you know could be targeted by the wave of populism that is sweeping the country and commit to actively accompanying them. Be proactive and active as you double down on the friendships you have with those who may be marginalized or further marginalized by the scary trends that loom.

In a few weeks, I'll start teaching my high school seniors again. As we learn about social justice and vocations, I ground the class in how Christ calls us to live out the Gospel in our relationships and society. I already love facilitating this formation for these teenagers as we learn Catholic Social Teaching, discern our vocations, and spend time with marginalized people. We will learn the Gospel calls. We will go out and encounter people who are marginalized. We will be prophets of outreach and companionship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Having a Lucy

by Dan Masterton Every year, a group of my best friends all get together over a vacation. Inevitably, on the last night that we’re all toge...