Thursday, July 28, 2016

#morethanredandblue: Part 6

Here is Part 6, the last section, of my Theology on Tap talk, More Than Red and Blue.

You can read the explanation and Part 1 of the talk here, Part 2 here, Part 3 here, Part 4 here, and Part 5 here.

* * *

To summarize the three issues we looked at, I’m gonna post small snapshots of these issues in context of CST right now.
Ok, so what do I do in November? ‡I’m going to tweet out some tips and suggestions, which I’ll talk you through now as you check it out.
First, I caution against any guidance or advice you may hear or see that connects the weight of mortal sin or grave error with any particular type of vote. I think this only applies in very rare cases when very narrow referenda are offered on particular social issues on which we are called to vote in a way that reflects Church teaching and our conscientious response to it. However, when it comes to general elections when we are typically only offered viable candidates from two main parties, there is not a way to completely avoid supporting some negative or evil policy.
So should I abstain or stay home? You could, and I personally wouldn’t fault you for that if you feel that is the best reflection of your conscientious decision. I would challenge you to more though. Look at the candidates and not necessarily just their party affiliations. Can you dig into the nuances of particular candidates via their public speeches, their websites, their voting records, and more? Can you then discern some kind of positive overarching pattern or personality that matches what you’re looking for? Can you synthesize your reactions to follow a gut feeling on who may bring stronger character or integrity to the office? By trying to engage with the details and discerning a best decision, you can share your process with others, hear about their processes in turn, and thus continue honing a way to maximize the closeness of your Catholic conscience to particular candidates for these important roles.

Well, then how do I pick someone? Remember that neither Republican nor Democrat (nor Libertarian, Green, or anyone else) totally matches the social teachings of the Church. Remember that both parties do have stances that align with the calls of the Gospel for our social action. Remember that both parties also have stances that contradict what we are called to do in society. Remember that some politicians are more moderate or go to the opposite wing of their party – like liberal/moderate Republicans or moderate/conservative Democrats – and these anomalies can sometimes offer a more unique and less one-size-fits-all version of our major parties’ platforms; I personally gravitate toward these candidates because their agitation of the status quo often reflects the nuances and issue-by-issue stances that I desire to see.

I’ll be paying close attention to the debates and to the public comments of the presidential candidates, and I want to know two main things:
1. Who will represent our country with more integrity and character? And I don’t mean just maximizing our political and economic interests; I mean cooperating, supporting, and building global solidarity in our world. 
2. Who will more thoroughly uphold the consistent ethic of life? And I don’t mean just in terms of abortion or death penalty but with education, health-care, and elderly care as well.
I will be voting in November, and I don’t know yet who I will vote for. But I know there are lots of Sundays and Eucharist between here and there, and plenty of opportunity to converse in faith with other faith-filled, conscientious people striving to discern some tough decisions. I’ll be looking for integrity in upholding the consistent ethic of life and global solidarity as much as I can find it. I’ll see you in November!

Thanks for reading the talk, and thanks again to the Ravenswood Young Adult community, led by St. Benedict and St. Andrew Parishes; to Old St. Mary's Parish; and to the Young Adult Ministry in the Northwest Suburbs, each of which hosted me to give this talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Having a Lucy

by Dan Masterton Every year, a group of my best friends all get together over a vacation. Inevitably, on the last night that we’re all toge...