Wednesday, March 25, 2015

the72: Hannah Boiko - The Missing Piece

When I hear the word ministry, I automatically pair its meaning to the word serve. But something else also comes to mind when I hear the word. The word ministry helps me to remember my purpose in life. It helps me to remember that there is a reason, a God-given one at that, to keep waking up each morning, to keep pushing myself to do my best, and to always be motivated to be the best version of myself each and every single day. But after writing this I pause and I really reflect.

“How am I living out my ministry?” is a heavy question, and I believe I am happily in the process of discovering it through my education.

Currently, I’m studying Communication Disorders to eventually become a Speech Language Pathologist. Throughout high school I was always so intrigued by the practice of medicine and my far off dream of one day becoming a doctor. When reality eventually caught up with me, it was finally time to decide on a college and a major. I really had to sit down and think about this.

One night during my senior year of high school found my mom and I scrolling through major after major on multiple websites, searching for something that would fit my personality. I have an absolute passion for helping people and for taking care of others. I believe that helping people is my ministry in life. Coming from a Jesuit high school and being engulfed in campus ministry, I discovered after leading many retreats that I had a passion for leadership, and of course, theology and faith.

My junior year of high school I had the pleasure of tutoring young children at a place called Duroville, CA, a poverty stricken environment that wasn’t far from my hometown. Many families lived here in a trailer park where they were faced with financial and personal hardships every single day. From this experience in my life I realized that God is calling me to help others. I believe that I was put on earth to be a person for others, wherever and whenever.

I’d like to say that I learned this from my mom. While growing up, before I left my house for a night or a long period of time my mom would always say, “have fun, and don’t forget if you need me to come get you no matter what time it is, I will come get you.” That saying my Mom always tells me has truly showed me unconditional love. My mother always puts others before herself, always making sure her kids are okay before she is.

But unfortunately, I have been broken in my life. Especially when I went through my parents’ divorce. Some days I never thought that I could be whole again, but time went on and I started finding things in life that filled my heart with joy. Helping others mended me back together. I could share my story with others and show them that no one is alone in life.

So back to the struggle of whom I wanted to be... I was coming to a crossroads moment in my life, unsure of what I wanted to do and who I wanted to be. But am I really supposed to know that answer at 18 years old? I guess that’s where my faith comes in.

My mom looks up at me that night we were looking through majors, and suggests the profession of Speech Language Pathology. My mom is in fact a Speech Language Pathologist, so I automatically shot the idea down. There’s no way I want to follow in my mom’s footsteps! I want to be my own person... right?

Time went on and the major started to grow on me. I really do love what my mom does for a living. She has the opportunity to work with babies in an ICU all the way up to elderly people in a nursing home, helping them with speech disorders of all sorts. She can work in a hospital, school, nursing home, or private clinic. My mom changes lives every single day. It may not seem like a big deal, but if a little 5 year old can’t pronounce his “R’s” in the word “car” which comes out as “caw” but finally one day says “car,” then that is something to be proud of.

Changing lives is my ministry. I want to touch people in this world, and I want to help them along their way.

Looking back at this experience now, I can truly tell you that God was trying to tell me something. Each year leading up to me picking a major in college and picking a career/vocation, I got to experience something that I find so rewarding and so touching which is helping people and leading others. At my high school, in addition to tutoring kids, I also got to lead many retreats. This is something that I will always treasure. I believe that leading retreats has made me more of a servant of God. Leading my peers has allowed me to become a more vulnerable and open person. I’ve also had the opportunity of going to work with my mom to see what I’ll be doing in the future. I’ve helped people in ways I never thought I could whether that is tutoring children, giving advice to a friend, serving food to the homeless, being a spiritual leader, or just being in someone’s presence when they needed a shoulder to cry on or a good laugh (I’m pretty funny).

As my freshmen year of college is coming to a rapid close (5 more weeks, YAY!) I reflect on what I’ve been studying so far. I took a big leap of faith when committing to California Baptist University and agreeing to be a communication disorders major. I must say now: it was the absolute best decision I had, and I know I didn’t make it alone! I had incredible support from my friends, family, and most importantly, God. I was comforted by His love when I thought my future was impossible to obtain. I have started to take major classes and I know that becoming a Speech Language Pathologist in my future will help me to live my ministry out every single day for the rest of my life.

Even though life takes its toll on me at times and I feel like giving up, I stop and remember how extremely blessed I am to be here, breathing and living.

All we have to do is take it one day at a time.

Hannah Boiko graduated from Xavier College Prep in Palm Desert, CA, in 2014, where she came to know Christ, fell in love with Campus Ministry, and was a member of the Xavier Dance Team. Hannah is currently a freshman at California Baptist University in Riverside, CA, where she is studying Communication Disorders with the intention of becoming a Speech Language Pathologist. Hannah has a passion for helping others and a love for spontaneous beach trips. Hannah can be reached at hannahboiko@aol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Having a Lucy

by Dan Masterton Every year, a group of my best friends all get together over a vacation. Inevitably, on the last night that we’re all toge...