Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Little Push

It's been a while. And as I sorted through the usual half-blog-posts that pop up in my mind as ideas needing to fleshed out in writing, I found myself unable to make the time for my hobbies, something I'd been habitually good at.

I hoped that this Christmas Break would give me the relaxation and rest I craved. As the classic Catholic School employee, despite my concerted effort to oppose the tendency, I have indeed overcommitted myself, in this instance, by becoming the head coach for the freshmen basketball team, alongside my full slate as the Campus Minister. I love coaching, and I love basketball. However, attempting to navigate the "choose your adventure" of being the first full-time campus minister at this school alongside sorting through the chores of head-coaching have left me in the position I wish most to avoid - doing a decent job at a lot of things instead of doing a great job at a few things. My idealism will surely be cut by the realities of adult life, especially as I add my own family to the mix.

Anywho, the relaxation of break is often helped, hurt, or a little of both by time with family. I do not stress out. I even moreso refuse to give into the holiday stress that people seem to seek out sometimes. This year involved juggling my own family and my girlfriend's family, which was challenging but beautiful, as we found ways (even if imperfect) to share our families with each other.

And now after Christmas, the resumption of basketball practice and a mini holiday tournament for the boys tomorrow ratchet the activity back up. And as the first day of the second semester draws closer, the thoughts of what awaits at work and the things I want to tackle in Campus Ministry begin to invade my mind. So when the time is there between family and coaching and the ever-racing mind to seize the rest, I try to do so.

Today, post-morning-basketball-practice that is, this involved napping, eating a snack, heading to Evanston for a Northwestern basketball game and dinner with my dad, and some relaxed time with my girlfriend as the cherry on top of a nice, easy day, before coming home to go to bed - er, write a blog.

On way home from Katherine's, an easy 3-block stroll through Lincoln Park, I was pretty empty-headed. Practice was solid; the NU game was lame; conversation with dad was enjoyable but didn't stir me to deep analysis of any kind. It was a placid saunter over the crunchy snow without anything to stir me to deep contemplation or obsessive thinking.

Then, just a few doors down from my apartment building, I happened upon a couple of guys struggling to get their Jeep out of its snowed-in parking spot so they could head home. A nearby woman was trying to find them a shovel, and another dude and his girlfriend had stopped to help. I joined the fray, and after a couple minutes of strategizing, three of us guys took to the tailgate to push while the fourth dude took to the gas as we all tried to rock the car out of snowy rut. One woman continued to look for a shovel while the other guarded her purse.

After a few attempts to urge the car out of its place, our strength and the gas pedal hadn't done the trick. The woman returned with a shovel, and the car's owner dug around the wheels, while declining her offer of her gloves to warm his bare hands. One final attempt, amid the encouragement amongst of us man-mules, and we helped force the car through the snow piles and out into the street.

I'd love to dramatize the story into something bigger and more colorful than that description, but it was simply a handful of people helping a car escape a snowed-in parking space in Chicago. We each went on our separate ways with a brief smile and words of gratitude. There was no grand gestures, no pretension, no false heroism. No one called attention to themselves for their contributions or the time they gave up. No one complained of the cold. It was simply a few people helping a few other people that needed help.

As someone who is fairly effective as a leader and fairly effective as a team-player/follower, I (surprisingly?) struggle in that area in between. If I am not leading or clearly being led, I can get easily frustrated as a contributor. My tendency is to yield, surrender, or even become indifferent, sitting back to a dangerous extent that borders on or even becomes detriment, or worse, apathy.

This was a moment I needed. True love is that which openly and warmly gives and receives. I was in the right place at the right time to give some help these people, and the opportunity to work with other people gave something to me. I had the chance to simply step in alongside others and lend a hand.

As the beginning of another semester of campus ministry looms, with all its challenges, known and yet unknown, here was a simple and clear reminder of the importance of helping others. And to do so authentically as part of a team, humbly embracing and inviting the help of others, working together.

I read several articles from America magazine on way to Evanston on the purple line, and I felt the wheels turning in my head, urging me to return to my Blogger platform to type again. Then before I could sort through it all and discern the truth speaking to my heart, a simple moment of loving teamwork showed me what I needed to learn tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Having a Lucy

by Dan Masterton Every year, a group of my best friends all get together over a vacation. Inevitably, on the last night that we’re all toge...