Monday, December 13, 2010

Mark 10

Here's one of my short reflections for my final essays for Fr. Dunne's class. It's on the end of Mark 10, one of my favorites from the Bible...

On a week-long summer conference called Catholics on Call, I heard the words of Mark’s Gospel anew. For one of our masses, we had the Gospel reading that comes from the end of Mark 10. It tells the story of a blind man who calls out to Jesus for healing. At first, many around him rebuke him and tell him to pipe down, and the disciples appear to pay no attention to his calls. However, Jesus stops in his tracks and requests that the disciples go get the man. Mark 10:49 sums up the power of this Gospel reading for me: “Jesus stopped and said, ‘Call him.’ So they called the blind man, saying to him, ‘Take courage; get up, he is calling you.’


The reading continues with another great line from Jesus: He asks the man point blank, “what do you want me to do for you?” It is a powerful moment, especially considering the lowliness of the man and the reality that he was nearly ignored and passed over by the contingent. However, if we are to place ourselves in the story and consider such an encounter with Jesus, I do not even get to the point of answering Jesus’ question. I could certainly give Him a decent, truthful answer, but before I can face Jesus’ question, I first have to listen to the disciples, who very well might have been miffed that they had to stop their journey and retrieve this wretched man from the crowd. They take him and, in what I interpret as a rather forceful and stern exhortation, tell him to find courage, get on his feet, and answer the call of Jesus.


Whoa! This is a big step. Many of us believe we have firm, strong faith and actually try hard to answer Christ’s call. But there is always the lingering wonders about what we would actually do in such a situation. This passage invites us to such reflection. Rather than obsessing over what I would ask Jesus to grant me, I reflect on the strength asked of us if we are to face Jesus and present our wants and needs, which we should be doing in prayer anyway.


This man models the correct response. He jumps to his feet in joy, asks Jesus to cure his blindness, and Jesus heals him. The affirmation to his response is that Jesus tells him, “your faith has saved you” (Mark 10:52). This man has stood up on his faith and found salvation from blindness and the fullness of true salvation in Christ. What an example he is for us! I loved the disciples’ exhortation so much that I put it on a t-shirt. Take courage. Stand up. He is calling you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Having a Lucy

by Dan Masterton Every year, a group of my best friends all get together over a vacation. Inevitably, on the last night that we’re all toge...